Saturday, October 27, 2007

Almost November - what do you look forward to?

Not that I hate October, but I'm ready to move on to November. The month of my birth (the 24th in case you want to buy me a beer or coffee or ??), my mom's birthday, Thanksgiving... now I'm not trying to hurry things along to the cold days of winter, but November is the start of some very sweet eating times ;)

Many things in my family revolve around restaurants, big family get togethers with meals as our "breaking bread" time, or when on vacations making sure we hit the fav places we remember eating at in the past. I've even given directions around Boise with restaurants as the main points of interest; like Goldy's Pita Pit, Elmers, Fanci-Freeze, Mongolian BBQ (mmhmm). Friends and acquaintances sometimes wonder about me.

With all that I find important I want to focus myself on a few things that I find actually more important and hope you might share in these things: life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. If you do a google search on the previous phrase you can find court references about it, thoughts and musings from our founding fathers, and wild adaptations of freedom using that as its basis. What I have taught my teenage boys some my call slightly libertarian, with a solid footing in my faith in Christ:
1) Jesus Christ and His word is absolute
2) as long as your pursuit of happiness does not interfere with my liberty or society's common liberty, and as long as your liberty does not interfere with my life or the lives of others, then all is good.
3) refer back to #1 and it can become a battle to figure out #2

There will be more posts as I attempt to apply this concept of freedom to as many things as I can and hopefully work through what real freedom means. For now, let us look forward to November 8th, spend less than 8 minutes of our life, and remember something that happened not too long ago, yet to some seems like another lifetime...

No comments: